So now that screw caps seem to be slowly but surely taking over from wine corks there may be little point in putting this blog up- but for those of you plagued by the abundance of old wine corks in your house this one is for you! Turn those old corks into Christmas decorations. All you need is
– Wine corks
– Thin ribbon
– Decorative beads (with large holes)
– Long darning needle
1. Carefully drill a hole through the center of the cork lengthwise using a small bit drill.
2. Slide one or more decorative beads over the loop of the tassle.
3. Cut approximately 1 foot of ribbon and slip one end into the tassle loop (above the beads) then bring ends of ribbon together.
4. Thread the ribbon (now attached to the tassle) through the darning needle and bring up through the center of the cork then pull till the beads and tassle are in contact with the cork.
5. Slip one or more decorative beads over the ribbon then knot the ribbon several inches up leaving a loop to hang from Christmas tree branch.
6. Cut excess ribbon above the knot and use Fray Check (available at Joann.com) to prevent ribbon from fraying. You may also carefully use a lighter or match to slightly singe the ends of the ribbon to prevent fraying.
7. Glue the beads to the top and bottom of the cork to ensure they remain centered and in place.
So there you have it- hopefully you have enough time to get making them!